In an interview that has resurfaced in light of Bill and Melinda Gates announcing their divorce, the Microsoft founder said that he and his ex-girlfriend would take yearly weekend trips to the beach in North Carolina even while married.
The outlet reported that the trips would include dune buggy rides, hang gliding, and walks on the beach.
The pair broke up in 1987.
Winblad added: “I said she’d be a good match for him because she had intellectual stamina.”
Bill and Melinda announced on Monday that they would be ending their marriage.
“After a great deal of thought and a lot of work on our relationship, we have made the decision to end our marriage,” the couple said in a statement posted to Twitter, adding that “we no longer believe we can grow together as a couple in the next phase of our lives.”
They vowed, however, to continue the work of their charitable organization, the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation.
- ^ Bill and Melinda Gates (www.washingtonexaminer.com)
- ^ Microsoft (www.washingtonexaminer.com)
- ^ North Carolina (www.washingtonexaminer.com)
- ^ 2001 interview with (content.time.com)
- ^ Time (content.time.com)
- ^ BILL AND MELINDA GATES GETTING DIVORCED (www.washingtonexaminer.com)
- ^ Gates (www.washingtonexaminer.com)
- ^ CLICK HERE TO READ MORE FROM THE WASHINGTON EXAMINER (www.washingtonexaminer.com)
- ^ Twitter (www.washingtonexaminer.com)