- Holidaymakers could need paper Covid vaccine certificates
- Portugal, Greek and Spanish islands declared safe by Foreign Office 
- Europe to welcome British tourists for summer holidays
- The destinations likely to be on the travel ‘green list’ this summer
An extra bank holiday should be added at the end of September to make up for the poor weather of the May day weekend, tourism bosses have said.
“Hospitality and tourism has missed out on almost all bank holidays last year and the start of this,” wrote Kate Nicholls, chief executive of UK Hospitality on Twitter. “An extra bank holiday would be a boost to business, the economy, jobs and investment.”
Ms Nicholls was responding to calls from the Association of Leading Visitor Attractions (Alva), which tweeted: “Due to largely terrible, unseasonably wet & cold weather #UKtourism really isn’t benefitting from this Bank Holiday, only the 2nd most tourism businesses have been open [for] 14 months (indoor attractions still aren’t open). We need an extra Bank Holiday at the end of September.”
Bernard Donoghue, director of Alva, told The Independent: “It was only the second bank holiday most tourism businesses have been open for in the last 14 months – and indoor attractions still aren’t open, except in Scotland.”
The loss of domestic tourism and foreign visitors has cost the British economy £80 billion over the last 12 months, according to Visit Britain. May 17 is the date at which indoor attractions can reopen in England.
Scroll down for the latest travel updates.
What happened yesterday?
The main headlines from Tuesday:
- Spain’s Balearic isles ‘very optimistic’ for summer restart
- Airlines praise EU for ‘game-changing’ approach to travel bans
- Portugal: ‘We’re pushing for Brits to holiday here this summer’
- Only 13% of Britons prepared to go abroad this year
- NHS app may not be ready for use in international travel
- Austria to offer free coronavirus tests to tourists
Now onto today’s news.
- ^ Holidaymakers could need paper Covid vaccine certificates (www.telegraph.co.uk)
- ^ Portugal, Greek and Spanish islands declared safe by Foreign Office (www.telegraph.co.uk)
- ^ Europe to welcome British tourists for summer holidays (www.telegraph.co.uk)
- ^ The destinations likely to be on the travel ‘green list’ this summer (www.telegraph.co.uk)
- ^ £80 billion over the last 12 months (www.telegraph.co.uk)
- ^ 8:26AM (www.telegraph.co.uk)