PRINCE ALBERT, Sask. — Dry conditions and strong winds have caused a massive wildfire in Saskatchewan to grow overnight as firefighters battle it from the ground and in the air.
Prince Albert Mayor Greg Dionne says the blaze on the northern edge of the city has now jumped Highway 55 and more people are being told to leave their homes.
A state of emergency was declared for Prince Albert, which is about 140 kilometres northeast of Saskatoon, and the rural municipality of Buckland on Monday.
More than 30 homes in the area have been evacuated and Dionne says others are being warned their homes could be next.
Dionne says so far no homes or other structures have been lost to the fire.
The fire has damaged SaskPower infrastructure, leading to a significant power outage in numerous areas north of Prince Albert, including Waskesiu, Meath Park, La Ronge and Stanley Mission.
This report by The Canadian Press was first published May 18, 2021.
The Canadian Press